The Directorate of Legal Studies was established in the year 1953 with the primary objective of improving the standard of legal education in the State of Tamil Nadu by streamlining the activities of the Government law colleges in the state, ensuring efficient administration and excellent academic atmosphere.
The broader objectives of the directorate are:
- To strengthen the Bar and the Bench by imparting quality legal education and inculcating professional ethics of very high standards in keeping with the traditions of our state being the home for a galaxy of legal luminaries.
- To facilitate advanced legal studies and research by creating and maintaining adequate infrastructure in terms of competent and committed faculty and fully equipped libraries with all the modern facilities.
- To keep pace with the ever changing needs and the new challenges of legal education and also legal profession by introducing innovative methods of teaching and organizing seminars, symposia and workshops so as to enable the faculty and the students to update themselves.
- To concentrate more on research in the grey areas resulting in valuable contributions to the development of law and also concrete suggestions and recommendations to policy makers.
- To develop the skills of advocacy by motivating the students to evince more interest in Moot Court and other co- curricular activities.
- To mould the budding lawyers in to socially relevant and responsible citizens by coordinating the extra- curricular activities such as Sports and Games, National Service Scheme, National Cadet Corps, Youth Red Cross, Free Legal Aid, Legal literacy Mission and the like.